News:

Thank you for coming and welcome to My Little Phony's new standalone forums!
Please bear with us as we continue setting up info and admin all over the site.

If you're here from Gaia, here's a helpful list of changes on the new site!

If you experience difficulties/delays in receiving your activation email, please let us know!
You can contact us on Discord or email us at adopts(at)citycyb.org.
We will be checking for new members and will activate your account ASAP.
Live and Hotmail have been especially particular about receiving email from our servers. D8

Thank you for joining us and your patience as we sort things out! Remember, Phonyland loves you!

Main Menu

[PRP-Laughter] Let loose a little! [Paladin x Sugarplum Dance]

Started by Nym, May 07, 2021, 07:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nym

Paladin wasn't used to being bad at something. It wasn't like he excelled at everything he did, but Paladin at least didn't abhorrently fail with any of the tasks and hobbies he had previously undertaken. Not until now, evident by graceless stumbles and stiff movements. Dancing was apparently his bane, embarrassing him with each class his mother subjected him to. He didn't complain -- at least not outwardly --, intent on impressing his mother and siblings to the best of his abilities. She was a good and kind woman, someone who only pushed him to try new things in hope he'd find whatever sparked passion. She meant well, and Paladin also wondered if she shoved him into activity to forget the burning question on the tip of everyone's tongue: 'Where's Dad?'

So, he'd persist, but he wasn't doing it in a graceful fashion. At some point the teacher must have noticed, careful where she looked when she announced it was time to select dance partners. No one wanted to pair with Paladin -- his inability didn't go unnoticed. Call him stubborn, but Paladin also wasn't going to subject anyone to his clumsiness, sequestered off into a corner of the room in hopes no one might feel pressured to ask him as their partner.

And, honestly -- this was the first time he had ever felt an inkling of embarrassment.
@purpleroses

purpleroses

Sugarplum loved dancing. Sure, being a pegasus probably helped her be a bit more nimble and graceful than her peers, but she tried to be humble. She was a beginner, learning just as much as the rest of them. But she kept glancing at one of her fellow classmates, a young unicorn who seemed very very sulky.

Surely he was here to have a good time as well, so why did he have such a frowny face? She, being one of the better dancers in the room, would help him out! Sugarplum slowly scooted from one end of the room to the other, inching closer to him. "Soooo..." she started, once she was close enough. "I need a partner, and I see you don't have one. So you should be mine," she said, smiling at him, all sparkle and shimmer. "I'm Sugarplum."

@Nym

Nym

She startled him, evident by a twitch of his shoulders as he snapped his attention to her. Oh no, he knew this one -- it was the foal who was exceedingly talented with the lessons given to them. Surely she didn't want to partner with him? Evidently, she did, and Paladin wondered who put her up to it.

"Paladin," he answered, a hoof gesturing to himself. "You don't have to, Sugarplum, although I appreciate the sentiment." While he did his best to sound proper he still held that small frown, glancing at the other pairs.

"If you haven't noticed, I'm the worst in the class. I fear for your hooves."

@purpleroses

purpleroses

"If you crush my hooves, I'd be impressed," she said, flapping her wings. She wondered why he wouldn't want to be partnered with the best? He must be a bit shy, or something. She lifted a hoof. "I have very small hooves, see?" She smiled, and nudged him gently. "We're here to have fun, and I know a lot about dancing. I can help you find your steps!"

@Nym

Nym

He looked down, noting her tiny hooves. She was right -- he'd have to be really gunning for a stomp to get anywhere close to her feet. Properly assured, Paladin nodded, brushing hair from his eye. Right, he was being silly.

"Okay," he answered, glancing back at the teacher as they instructed a pair of students. Was he nervous? Was that what this feeling was? "Where do we begin?"

@purpleroses

purpleroses

"Okay, so we gotta stand together," she said, inching closer to him so they were face to face. Paladin was still frowning. "And feel the music. Have the notes and beats reach into you! That way your body knows where to move," Sugarplum said, moving her head and front hooves to demonstrate, smiling at him. The gentle music made her feel relaxed and happy. The perfect mood to dance in! "So what do you feel when you listen?"

@Nym

Nym

Feel the- what did that even mean? He scrunched his face, head tilting towards her as he listened. Her smile was soft and comforting, but it wasn't enough to give him answers. How did someone "feel" music?

"It's- it sounds nice." He watched her, drifting into though. "I don't know how to feel it, though."

@purpleroses

purpleroses

Sugarplum puffed her cheeks out, contemplating. She let out a soft phhhbt. "Oh I... huh, I never really thought about that, really. Like how to learn how to feel it! So we'll think it then." She wiggled in place. She'd never tried to teach before. "Maybe... it's about the timing. There's a pattern to the music, that makes the rhythm. Watch this," the pegasus said, taking a step back so Paladin could see better.

The filly tapped her hoof to the beat, calling attention to the heaviest part. 1, 2, tap. 1, 2, tap. "Now you try!" she said, looking back at her unicorn partner. "I'll do it with you."

@Nym

Nym

He wanted to argue, truly. Not with her, perhaps, but maybe with the state of things in general. Sugarplum made absolutely no sense and it wasn't her fault -- he just... didn't get dancing. He didn't want to give up, though, pushed ahead by an ego that wanted to prove he was capable of anything and a dream to be always prepared for whatever life threw at him. So, when she tapped he joined her, pleasantly surprised it was simple.

Oh.

Was this what he had been missing? The beat?

"Am I doing it right?" He sounded unsure, almost apprehensive as he tapped along in beat with her.

@purpleroses

purpleroses

Sugarplum watched as Paladin began to join her, tapping out the simple beat of the music. "You're doing it, yeah! That's perfect," she said, beaming brightly. He seemed to be understanding it, even if it were only just a bit more. She'd never thought of how hard it would be to start from the very beginning of learning, all alone. Well, that was why she was here, helping her classmate. "It's fun, right?"

@Nym

Nym

He was clumsy and unstable in his steps, but her encouragement did help wonders. He still felt poorly for her, worried he was wasting her time or putting her own talent to shame. Still, she seemed excited, so that was a plus. He regarded her with a concentrated frown, unsure if he was ready to try talking on top of keeping a beat.

"It i- ugh." He immediately broke his rhythm, quickly scrambling to get back into it, to which he was successful. He heaved a loud sigh, head tossing back as he uncharacteristically huffed. Oh, this was really getting to him!

"How did you find this so easy? I feel like I possess two left feet!"

@purpleroses

purpleroses

Sugarplum thought he had been making a lot of progress in even just a short time. He went from not even knowing where to start to... at least something. But he still seemed frustrated. Not with her, but... with dancing. Dancing was natural though, it was part of being a living thing!

"It wasn't always easy, I just really liked it, and then my dad encouraged me, because I had fun. It got easier the more I practiced!" Sugarplum smiled, and looked at Paladin's hooves. "You do have two left feet! One left, two left!" She laughed lightly, lifting her front left and back left hooves as she spoke. She hoped it didn't sound like she was making fun of him making jokes like that. "Two right feet as well! So you're perfectly balanced."

@Nym

Nym

He snorted at her response, a mixture of genuine amusement in his often dry voice.

"You're right -- I do," he muttered, feeling the tension leave his shoulders. Jokes were good -- maybe he liked them more than he had thought.

"I suppose it's no different than jousting, but it's hard not to over think it," he admitted. A hoof staggered and he stumbled, tangling himself into a crash, a hoof reaching out to catch himself. Unfortunately, Sugarplum had gotten close to him and was likely to find his arm swinging into her as he scrambled.

@purpleroses

purpleroses

"You joust? she asked excitedly, as he promptly stumbled and crashed into her. She shook her head, stepping back to give him space. "Oops, you must be very good at the jousting," she laughed, rubbing her head. Sugarplum had taken worse tumbles and falls in her dance practices, though a hoof to the head was never pleasant. If you're jousting though, that's the point! "You know, it's okay to not think about it, too much. It's for fun, right? It's okay to laugh at your mistakes and figure you'll do it better next time."

@Nym

Nym

He was pleasantly surprised by her delight, picking himself up quickly.

"I do, here and there. Mom said my father liked it, so she enrolled me." He swung himself upright, running a hoof through his hair. "It's quite enjoyable, but has a harsh learning curve."

Like this, maybe? He looked at his feet, flustered and annoyed, puffing hair from his forehead. No, she was right -- it was kind of funny. Imagining the sight she saw and the sounds he made as he crashed and toppled... yeah, he could see the merit in being amused.

A low chuckle left him, head shaking as another sigh left him. Man! Poor Sugarplum!

"You're right," he laughed, brushing his hooves off. "I take things too seriously -- I know. I'm just not used to things being this difficult!" Another laugh left as he exhaled his nerves, offering a rare smile towards Sugarplum.

Relaxing wasn't something he was the best at, but he would like to try!

@purpleroses