News:

Thank you for coming and welcome to My Little Phony's new standalone forums!
Please bear with us as we continue setting up info and admin all over the site.

If you're here from Gaia, here's a helpful list of changes on the new site!

If you experience difficulties/delays in receiving your activation email, please let us know!
You can contact us on Discord or email us at adopts(at)citycyb.org.
We will be checking for new members and will activate your account ASAP.
Live and Hotmail have been especially particular about receiving email from our servers. D8

Thank you for joining us and your patience as we sort things out! Remember, Phonyland loves you!

Main Menu

[PRP Generosity] Gift Horses [Fair Pace x Paladin x Blind Love]

Started by Gl!tch~, May 18, 2021, 05:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gl!tch~

A breeze drifted through on a nice, sunny day. What perfect day for many things, like flying a kite, or having a picnic.

Or busking wares, like Fair Pace was.

He would have picked at his hoof-crafted merchandise a bit more, but the empty fridge told him that he didn't have the time. So, here he was, with a table set up on the side of a bustling avenue, pace eggs displayed in fancy bowls, while he busied his hooves working on some new eggs in the meantime (or else he would never leave his old pieces alone).

Nym

"It's a lovely thing you're doing, dear."
"I just thought he could use them, since we had excess."

Blind Love regarded her son fondly, carrying the basket of eggs on her back. Paladin trailed by her side, neither too close or too far. He kept his eyes trained ahead, either unaware of his mother's gaze or uncaring. It was moments like these when Blind Love wondered which of his parents had given him his unyielding kindness. Was it her, or the man she still missed to this day? Or was it a mixture of the two, blended together into a unique concoction just for Paladin.

Whatever the case was, he was a good kid. Him and Mercy both. She often wondered how Sanctuary was, but the thought had slowly become painful as time went by. She didn't want to forget, but....

"He's there," Paladin dully stated, snapping Blind Love from her thoughts. She made a soft and affirmative sound in the back of her throat, eyes landing on the table her son had pointed out.

"Okay, remember what I said about being too pushy."
"I know."

He took the basket from her back, clumsily fumbling with the large item until he had reached the flutter and their eggs, stiffly placing the basket down and onto the ground. "Hello. Are you Fair Pace?"

His mother slid up to his side, fondly admiring the eggs on display while trying to give her son space to complete his mission.

@Gl!tch~

Gl!tch~

Pace looked up from his work; a slow, graceful movement. His eyes fluttered open and close, showcasing some surprise at being referred to by name. He wasn't used to being sought out, especially once spring came and went. "I am, in fact. A pleasure to meet you. How can I help you this fine day?" the flutter asked in a soft, nearly-quiet voice.

He glanced over at the eye-catching mare scooting up by the foal. Same pink flanks, same yellow eyes. They had to be related.

"And a good morning to you, as well, miss," he acknowledged with a nod.

@Nym

Nym

Blind Love was a simple mare, able to notice and appreciate a handsome looking phony any day, for that was what Fair Pace was -- handsome. Pretty, too, and probably a lot of other descriptors. But that wasn't the only reason Blind Love felt her cheeks heat as she answered his greeting. "Good morning."

He was talented, and Blind Love always had admired the creative sort. She faintly ooo'd and aaw'd at his creations, wondering to herself if her sons were responsible enough to leave such a delicate piece alone. Mercy and Paladin were, by far, one of the most behaved children she had ever met. In fact, Blind Love often worried they weren't embracing childhood enough. They were too reserved -- wrapped up in their dreams and ambitions with not much left to the child side of things. She was sure an egg would be safe in her home.

Her son had no eyes for the eggs, however -- not yet, at least. He was completely absorbed in his task, lifting the basket of eggs in sight. He had come to offer a gift and a gift he would depart at Fair Pace's feet before the day was out.

"We have too many eggs," he stated blankly. Blind Love made a soft sound, mixed between a sigh and thoughtful hum as she considered interjecting to soften her sons attempt at communication. No -- he was doing just fine. Bluntness wasn't bad. He didn't need his mother to guide him on how to talk.

"Mother said we could give them out to the neighbors, but I had heard your name recently, and seen a piece a classmate's parent bought. I would like to offer them to you, if you'd like." Paladin's voice remained calm and polite, perhaps unsettling to some. He didn't speak like a normal foal, something Blind Love had always wondered if it came from attempts to imitate the heroes he so coveted or it just was natural -- perhaps a mixture of both. She swept up to his side, finally tired of sitting on the sidelines.

Oh, the flutter had the most beautiful eyes...

"I forgot my order last week with the local farm and now, well, here we are! We weren't sure if there was a specific egg best for your craft, but I hope these are of some use to you."
@Gl!tch~

Gl!tch~

Fair Pace's attention instantly returned to the colt as Paladin began speaking. Pace was a professional, after all.

He listened with interest. It surprised him some to hear a child speak so much like an adult. Measured volume, a full vocabulary, politeness. Not often in his line of work did he see all three things in a foal. How pleasant, indeed.

"How kind of you!" he responded in delight. "I could always use more canvases."

The older of the two inserted herself into the conversation, and Fair Pace glanced at her. She could not seem to help herself... But who was to say if it was because of interest or because, like many, she might be a helicopter...relation, of some sort. None of these things were his to presume.

"Here we are indeed," Pace gave a little chuckle at Blind Love's personable anecdote. "What serendipity for things to work out this way; and to think that my name is making the rounds! How humbling. One could blush."

He definitely, for sure, was putting on airs a little. You don't stay in business without a little flair and charm here and there.

"These will work wonders for my next project. But I can't leave you empty-hoofed. A gardener gives thanks by sharing their first harvest; it is only right that I give mine by painting some of these just for you. Is there anything you would want to see? A design, a theme? A palette? Don't be shy, now."

@Nym

Nym

Paladin was just a child, and while his fancy words and well structured sentences often caused others to forget such a thing he was still young. Pride filled him briefly as Fair Pace praised him, accepting the gift. It felt good to help others -- especially with something he knew would actually be put to use. His eyes trailed to his mother, who had joined the conversation, face blank despite the interest in her.... well, interest. His mother was often too wrapped in her own things to really make friends with other phonies -- seeing her speak to another adult was foreign and odd for the foal. Not unwelcomed, just, weird.

He returned his attention to Fair Pace, eyes flicking to his wares. A design? A theme? He exchanged a glance with his mother, who gently placed a hoof on his back.

"Are you sure? Oh, that's- thank you so much, dear Fair Pace. Paladin, what would you like? I'd be thrilled with anything -- they're beautiful regardless."

Of course she left it to him. His mom always wanted him to reap the benefits over her, unlikely to ever make a fuss or ask for something for herself. He thought, long and hard, considering what exactly would even look good on an egg. Apparently a lot of things, evident by the wares on Fair Pace's table.

"If you're sure..." he stalled, thinking far too hard on something so very simple. Suddenly, at that moment Paladin thought of his recent encounter with Itsy Bitsy. Huh. Neat. "A spider."

Blind Love looked down at Paladin with surprise, noting to ask him later about his request. She had never seen him interested in spiders or any bug for that matter, but it was interesting! She nodded, backing up his decision.

"Thank you very much, Fair Pace," she began, turning back to look at the eggs on display. "These are beautiful, we'll cherish ours. I can't imagine being as careful as one must be to paint these so delicately. You have a lovely talent."

Paladin ignored his mother, still delighted by the feeling of helping another. He'd need to remember Fair Pace if they ever had too many eggs in the future.

@Gl!tch~

Gl!tch~

Pace tapped his chin with a thoughtful hoof. "A spider... Now that presents an interesting challenge." He thought further. "The body could be done with...and the legs could... Yes, yes... And the patterning could be like..."

As an artist did, he went off into his own little world for a moment as he pictured the process.

"Eureka!" Even when exclaiming aloud, his voice was still soft and pleasant. "Yes, I know exactly how to make that work," he said with a nod to Paladin.

"And beautiful enough to cherish, artisan's promise," he added with a wink to Blind Love.

The flutter returned his attention to Paladin, ever the professional. "Now, I won't be able to finish the eggs today, but I can give you an estimate of when to come back to pick them up. Or, I could perhaps make a delivery once they're ready, if your mother is agreeable."

Once again, he took a moment to think. "In fact, I have my own little one at home that would probably love to make a new friend with such good character. If you're so inclined, of course."

Quote from: NymPace: I can make good business connections, flirt a little bit, AND maybe find somewhere else to pawn off my ward! Win win win!

Nym

Paladin waited ever so patiently as Fair Pace ruminated over his request, his eyes only flicking off the artist to sweep over the table one more time. He perked into focus when Pace exclaimed, returning the nod with his own small one. Regardless of how dry his face remained, a twist of excitement coiled in his stomach, gleeful of the idea of having his very own hand-painted egg from someone as talented as Fair Pace. He had never acquired custom art before, but it was certainly of interest after today. At the sound of his mother's soft giggle towards Pace's comment towards her, he tilted his head, catching her in the corner of his eye before returning his attention back to Pace.

Evidently, that was a question he couldn't answer himself, so he waited for his mother's response.

Blind Love, meanwhile, was delighted at the proposition. Paladin had not made many friends throughout his growth, and while she understood the number of friends wasn't what mattered, she did want to ensure her son wasn't lonely. Paladin wasn't the type to express such feelings, anyway, but she had witnessed how a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth whenever he mentioned children at school had included him in a game, or if he was assigned a partner for class. The house had been so quiet ever since Sanctuary had left with wherever Just Lance had gone... perhaps a selfish part of her also wanted to hear the warmth of children's laughter within her house again.

"That'd be lovely. I work until midevening most weekdays, but I'm home shortly after the kids come home from school. What do you think, Paladin?"

Her son nodded discreetly. "Mother bakes cookies every Thursday.  I can set aside some from my portions."

Blind Love hummed a giggle behind him and shook her head. "No no, I can make extra! Do either of you have any allergies?" The last part of her sentence lifted towards Fair Pace, a pleasant smile left on the pegasus' face.

Quote from: Gl!tch~Meanwhile, Blind Love is thrilled she can get pretty hoofmade art and set her son up for a playdate. Win win + cute artist comes over??????

I also continued the timeline of this is prior to her seeing Just Lance a second time, and likely the playdate will follow that timeline, and then we can move past that?

Gl!tch~

Fair Pace let out a soft laugh. "Thank you for your concern, but there are no allergies to worry about."

And hopefully they wouldn't ask Bright Gallery down the line - he worked hard enough to check for allergic reactions without breeding paranoia. Elsewise, he was very sure he wouldn't get her to eat food just about ever.*

"So... It seems to me like everything's settled. Thank you again for the eggs, and I look forward to our rendezvous!"

*This may or may not be based off of some unfair bias and Unreliable Narrator Syndrome on Pace's part.

Quote from: NymYeehaw let's mosey!