News:

Thank you for coming and welcome to My Little Phony's new standalone forums!
Please bear with us as we continue setting up info and admin all over the site.

If you're here from Gaia, here's a helpful list of changes on the new site!

If you experience difficulties/delays in receiving your activation email, please let us know!
You can contact us on Discord or email us at adopts(at)citycyb.org.
We will be checking for new members and will activate your account ASAP.
Live and Hotmail have been especially particular about receiving email from our servers. D8

Thank you for joining us and your patience as we sort things out! Remember, Phonyland loves you!

Main Menu

[ORP] The Midway

Started by Ruriska, December 30, 2020, 12:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruriska

The circus is in town (it always is, even if you can't find it) and at night it comes alive; scents and sounds and marvels that will make you rub your eyes in disbelief. If you allow the path to pull you along, it will lead you into a mysterious world of light and shadows. Here between the tents and the throngs of people, you'll discover a part of yourself you never knew before.

Can you smell it? The waft of buttery popcorn, the sawdust beneath your feet, the hotdogs, the cloying sweetness of the cotton candy. Can you hear it? Strange laughter from far away, the high-pitched screams that could be fear or delight, the vendors beckoning you closer, the ever present music of unknown origin.

The pathway is lined with games and amusements, hands reaching out to take your coins in exchange for a chance at one of the many prizes. Others are offering tasty treats, sweet and savoury, to give you strength for the next excitement, or for something to churn when you take on one of the rides towering brightly above it all. Someone offers to tell your fortune and another suggests you visit the hall of mirrors. A sign points off into darkness reading 'Witness Oddities and Curiosities you won't believe!'.

There's a lot to experience - so what will you choose to do?

Welcome to The Midway!

[A casual ORP because I wanna rp Rigged! Pop someone in and he'll turn up to show you around, or swindle you out of your Phony Bux.]

Fealine

Aegis was lured in by the sounds of laughter and the scent of buttery popcorn. Her tail flicked and her greenish eyes narrowed as she continued to trot down past the many booths and many games, looking but not really interested. Carnivals and games wasn't usually her thing but....well something about this place called to her and she was here to figure out what.

Soft clodding sounds echoed off the straw as her feathered hoofs fell, the frill of her saddle kicking up whenever she ruffled her wings. She paused, watching one foal try their best at a shooting booth that was clearly rigged, leaving the foal swindled and downtrodded. Snorting, her face scrunched into a smirk and she bit back a laugh. What fools, giving away their precious bits for some cheaply made stuffed frog that looked like it had seen one too many horrors in the swamp.

Ignoring it, the carousel filly kept on walking, deeper into the carnival, becoming overwhelmed by the scents of various foods. She had half a mind to stop and grab a salted pretzel when something else caught her eye. A punching bag on a stand, lights down either side. Curious, the tiny filly stepped forward, eyes glued to a sign reading 'Test your Strength. Win a Prize!'.

Ruriska

There was something for everyone on the midway. That was what Rigged loved about it. Someone might walk past a booth with a scoff and immediately get drawn into the next one. No matter who they were or how clever they thought they were, something would catch their eye... and their money. And while Rigged preferred the adults with more money to swindle, children could be ever so delightful with their spare change and their big eyes. They more than anyone appreciated the circus.

"Wannna give it a try, little lady?" Rigged asked, appearing from the shadows of a nearby tent with a grin. He leaned against a convenient pole, rakishly lazy. "Mind you, you'll have to be pretty strong."

@Fealine

Fealine

Aegis was slightly startled at the random old enough appearing seemingly out of thin air. Squinting, she glanced around for smoke or fog or something that might have tried to hide his 'magical' entrance before deciding he was probably just another circus sleeze slinking through the shadows. "Uh..." was all she could spit out at first, turning to face the unicorn. She looked him up and down, noting his crazy spikey brown hair, random eye markings and fancy vest.

Yeah, totally top dog circus level punk. She sorta liked that. But she was determined not to let him swindle her....or at least try. The knock at her strength, however, seemed to hit the right buttons. "I'm plenty strong! You have no idea what family I come from." she scoffed, scuffing her hooves in the dirt and flaring her tiny wings. "Bet I can knock that thing plum off its stand." she said with a confident not.

@Ruriska

Ruriska

Aha, bingo!

She was almost too easy but then, kids usually were. That's why they were so delightful. But he wasn't a complete scoundrel and there was no joy to be had from taking too much of a kids pocket money. The real fun came from giving them a sense of wonder, so they always returned to the circus, even as adults. 

Rigged grinned. "Well then, I'm certain that you can too! For you," his voice lowered to a conspiratorial level, as if imparting a great favour, "first go is on the house." He winked.

@Fealine

Fealine

Aegis leaned back a bit as he leaned down to whisper too her and she found her nose slightly wrinkling. He still seemed untrusting to her, as all circus type did but...there was also something else about him that intrigued her. Like if he wasn't so far off from her own mischievous ways of thinking. Still, a free offer? She'd have it one and done. Scoffing, she laughed. "Humph, alright then. One shot's all I need..." she said confidently, moving her shoulders similar to a human rolling up their sleeves.

PRepping herself she stepped forward, stamping her hooves hard on the ground. The pegasus carousel bab narrowed her eyes and grinned. Rearing up she winded up with all her might, pumping her wings and flew into the punching bag, full on expecting it to just crumble to dust from her might strength. A smug grin was plastered over her muzzle.

@Ruriska

Ruriska

It was a great attempt. Rigged even whistled low and impressed as she launched herself at her target.

As for the punching bag...

It wobbled.

Lights lit up - one, two, three, four... and then stopped. A jaunty tune played from the machine.

"A mighty blow," Rigged crowed. "You're pretty good... for a kid." He grinned and patted the punching bag fondly. "Technically you have to at least reach five out of the ten levels of strength to earn a prize but let me see what I've got back here."

Ah this was good fun, he thought as he deliberately turned away and started rummaging through the box of smaller prizes at the back. "Do you like sticky hands?"

@Fealine

Fealine

Aegis grinned the entire time as she watched the lights light up, confident it was going to reach the top.

And then it stopped....at four.

"FOUR?!" she huffed, staring in disbelief, squinting at the punching bag and slightly growling. As Rigged stepped closer, seemingly taunting with his low whistle she turned and eyed him. "Clearly...its rigged. I'm much stronger than just four." she huffed again, rolling her eyes and scoffing. She watched him rummage through the box and mention something about sticky hands. "Really... do I look like an infant?" she growled again before turning back to the machine.

"Something's off and I demand a re try!"

@Ruriska

Ruriska

Rigged lifted a hoof and rubbed his chin as he stared at the machine in a way that made him look very thoughtful and surely not all dodgy.

"Well, you already had your free go and this isn't an easy one to beat. You have to actually be really strong-" he said and then quickly amended with, "not that you're not strong but you are still rather, hm, on the small side."

He smiled a little too broadly.

"Do you have an adult nearby who could try it for you instead?"

( @Fealine i'm gonna rename this rp to kid gets bullied by dodgy circus man)

Fealine

Aegis growled, stomping a hoof again. "why you..." she eyed the unicorn before back to the machine. Frowning she stuck her tongue out at the machine before turning back towards the unciorn.

"I haven't even got your name yet." She squinted one eye, studying him closely. He was totally sus.

Still though.... an adult? Not likely. Her parents probably wouldn't be caught dead here. Well, Her mother maybe but she couldn't imagine Valkyrie here.

"You are here. You are both an adult and nearby. " she grinned, thinking herself sneaky.

( @Ruriska hahaha it would be aptly named )

Ruriska

"Ah, while you are correct in both of those," he replied while also casually ignoring that yes she did not know his name yet, "but unfortunately, I can't assist. Seeing as I work here, it'd be a conflict of interest. I'm sure you understand. You're a smart little lass."

Rigged grinned again and held out a hoof. "One phony bux for another try." There was no joy in taking too much pocket money but that didn't mean none at all. 

@Fealine

Fealine

Aegi's face fell flat before curling into a frown.

Digging out her small pouch from her saddle she opened it and took out one phony bux and held it a moment, looking it over. She then turned her gaze back to the adult, still very much unhappy, before slapping it into his hoof. "There. But I swear I will break this thing so hard...." she groaned, turning back around and prepping herself to land another blow to the machine.

She'd spice it up this time. Get a running start maybe....

@Ruriska (left it open just incase he wanted to like tamper with the machine lmaooo idk)

Ruriska

Rigged grinned and his payment disappeared from sight, spirited away into his pocket. He tapped the top of the machine, real gentle but with great intent, and said, "give it your best shot, champ."

@Fealine  8)

Fealine

She was gonna knock it plum out the park, he'll see. Then he'd be so impressed he'd not only give her her phoyn bux back but all he had out of sheer awe!!!

"You best move then." was all she said before she hunkered down like a cat ready to lunge.

And then with the loudest RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH any foal could ever rah she lunged at the machine, gave a flap of her wings to spin herself around and practically flying horse kicked the thing with her back to legs and all her carousel foal body weight. She landed with a skip and a hop before turning around, panting and scowl faced.

@Ruriska

Ruriska

He watched and waited, nodding eagerly to spur on her best attempt.

And oh - what an attempt it was! It was certainly quite the 'RAH' indeed and Rigged's brows shot up as she launched herself forward in an impressive flying kick with all the strength her body could muster.

The punching bag bounced around and the machine gave a BING. The lights appeared - one, two, three, four, five... and there it stayed.

"BRAVO!" Rigged cried. He reached behind the machine and pulled out a sad little plush bear with a stain on one ear. "A five! How strong!" He offered her the bear with a flourish. "Here's your prize, little lady!" He smiled, a little bit too wide. "Unless you'd prefer the sticky hand?"

@Fealine