News:

Thank you for coming and welcome to My Little Phony's new standalone forums!
Please bear with us as we continue setting up info and admin all over the site.

If you're here from Gaia, here's a helpful list of changes on the new site!

If you experience difficulties/delays in receiving your activation email, please let us know!
You can contact us on Discord or email us at adopts(at)citycyb.org.
We will be checking for new members and will activate your account ASAP.
Live and Hotmail have been especially particular about receiving email from our servers. D8

Thank you for joining us and your patience as we sort things out! Remember, Phonyland loves you!

Main Menu

[PRP - Loyalty] Felt with the Heart [King Kakapo x Paladin] (Complete)

Started by shortcutt, May 10, 2021, 08:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortcutt

So he had been assigned the topic of being loyal.

Glaring at the handout from his teacher, King Kakapo slouched a little at his desk, not even knowing why they had to do this assignment in the first place-- "Do the best you can to elaborate on these key habits from your book!" His teacher had said, referring to the chapter titles in their assigned reading. 12 Habits of Highly Effective Foals was a bit of a drudge to read, and it had hardly captured the attention of the colt... And now he was being forced to write a paper on one of the supposed good traits to have? At least it could have been something a little more interesting and less vague than 'Loyalty to the Loyal,' of all things. KK would have even taken "Kindness is Key" or "Generosity Gets Results,' for that matter.

"Ugh," he grumbled, laying his head down on the desk, trying to rack his brain for any ideas on how to even approach the topic of loyalty. "What does true loyalty even mean?" What was the difference between that and being respectful? Weren't there some situations where you shouldn't be loyal? Like, what if your best friend turned out to be someone terrible, and they did something to get themselves in trouble, and then they were trying to blame it on you? Would you still have to be loyal at that point? And how the heck was he supposed to relate any of this to art?!

"Where's the line..?" He knocked his head once on the desk, a little more audible than he would have liked, but he did nothing to correct his near-horizontal position, huffing at the effort it took to even think about something he didn't understand the concept of.

@Nym

Nym

Loyalty was easy for Paladin, although his idea of loyalty was a very 'all or nothing' kind of deal. Regardless, the assignment had been met with quiet appreciation. It'd be an easy grade, that was for sure. A few other students had also been assigned the same trait, clambering together to discuss their thoughts on the matter once the school bell had rung. Paladin was not that type, instead he collected his books and moved to head out, stopped only by his teacher and their request for him to make sure to get his mother to sign his report card. Shoot -- he had forgotten, hadn't he?

So he was behind schedule by the time his teacher was done with him. Paladin stood at the front of the desk, eyes locked on the clock. He had a whole two hours before dance practice, even with the time disruption. He hated the period before his activities -- being still was not something Paladin exceeded at. What could he do between the time? What needed to be done?

"Where's the line..?"

The voice of his classmate caught him off guard, head snapping to the sound. Oh, someone was still left behind. Did they need help? Well, Paladin was great at helping (or so he liked to believe).

"What was your assigned trait?" He questioned once he reached King Kakapo's desk. A classmate in need was not something he could ignore!

@shortcutt

shortcutt

King Kakapo hadn't even noticed that he was nearly the last foal in class, not really in a rush to, well, go anywhere after school. Especially if he had no clue what to do for his assignment. He had felt Paladin's presence before the colt even spoke, but still, he didn't lift his head from the desk until an almost awkward amount of time had passed. Assessing the other colt, he sighed, knowing that Paladin was one to get top marks in his class, and, well... KK himself barely stayed afloat sometimes, only excelling in his art class and choir. Still, he wasn't about to be rude to his fellow classmate, despite the perceived difference between them.

"Oh, hey..." he hummed as he leaned his chin on his hoof to stare at the other colt. "I um. Got assigned the Loyalty to the Loyal chapter. I hardly have any idea what I'm supposed to write about, y'know?" KK huffed disappointedly. Shifting to where he was standing up and grabbing his bag, he stuffed the assignment paper haphazardly into the front section and pointed with a hoof toward the door, meaning for Paladin to walk with him. Maybe getting out of the classroom would help clear his head and spark some inspiration.

"What trait did you get? Everyone who had Loyalty to the Loyal left within the first few minutes, it seems like. I didn't even have time to go ask them what they thought about the assignment." Not that he would have gone over in the first place. KK had a notoriously hard time asking other people for help.

@Nym

Nym

Paladin trailed by KK's side, nodding absently. Wait -- Loyalty? That was his. Was it really such a difficult topic? Then again, Paladin wasn't sure if he would have been so excited to receive Laughter, should that have occurred. In fact, what would he even say about Laughter? What was the point of it, anyway? The other ones made sense, leading back to key character traits that made someone good. So- wait, this wasn't about Laughter! Neither of the two were assigned that element!

Err, right, back on topic.

He coughed, clearing his head and throat. "Loyalty was mine, too," he answered, nodding towards KK.  "What are you struggling with, exactly? I have free time."

@shortcutt

shortcutt

What was he having trouble with, really? It seemed like such a simple topic, but still, King Kakapo couldn't really understand the concept behind loyalty. "Where does it even start?" he mused, half glaring at the hallway in front of him. He supposed he was making his way out toward the playground--hopefully Paladin would follow to settle down on the swings with him. It's where he did his best thinking after school, anyway.

"I don't really even understand the concept of loyalty... What does it feel like? Why is it important? Who are you supposed to be loyal to?" It was too many questions, he knew, but none of it made sense to him. It felt like... King Kakapo had really only ever had to be loyal to himself, and that was it. He didn't really have any friends beyond acquaintances at school, and his family... well... Truly, he felt lost in the whole of it.

"Sorry... I don't mean to bombard you. I guess... Where would you start with loyalty? Where does it come from for you?" Offering a small smile to the other colt, he slipped onto the swing set when they arrived, dropping his bag next to him on the ground.

@Nym

Nym

Paladin opened his mouth with each question, snapping it shut as another followed it. It seemed that KK needed to finish their thoughts, although Paladin so wanted to have the answer that would soothe his classmate. Finally, KK landed on him, asking a direction question. Paladin took a second to slip into a swingset, shifting into a comfortable position as way to bide for time.

"Loyalty is..." he paused, drifting in thought. The immediate answer was... his brother and mother. It was hit gut answer, in fact, and Paladin heard it was best to follow those. A small smile touched the normally blank-faced foal, hooves kicking above the dirt.  "My mother and brother. They're blood, but- it's more than that. Mom always stood by my side no matter what I did, or amounted to. My brother would risk his life for me. I want to protect them -- to be good to them. Never betray them, never... do anything that could hurt them. They're my number ones, over everyone else."

Ah -- that was so much more feeling than he had ever felt comfortable expressing, tinting his cheeks a bright red. He coughed nervously, a hoof reaching to fuss with his hair. "I mean, loyalty is my chosen family. Without regarding genetics. They just happen to also be related to me."

@shortcutt

shortcutt

KK focused intently on Paladin as he searched for his answer. Was this really easy enough for the other foals to get a handle on? Loyalty, it seemed, came naturally to everyone but him. When Paladin smiled, the orange colt found himself lost in the small expression for a moment--It was a little tell. He knew whatever was about to come out of the foal's mouth was coming from within. He sometimes found those expressions in old paintings where it was obvious that the subject and the painter truly had a relationship beyond the art.

Ah, crap, he needed to be listening.

So loyalty, for Paladin at least, stemmed from family. It was a bit of a shock to hear that his brother would risk hide and hoof for the other colt--What must that be like?--and that his mother was wholly supportive of him. King Kakapo gave a thoughtful hum when he realized that you needed others in your life to express your loyalty to. No wonder he wasn't picking up the idea so easily.

"Hm... They're your 'number ones,' then." A foreign concept, for sure. KK kicked his hooves in the dirt below him, gently swinging himself as he thought of another question. "They would do anything for you, so that means you have to do the same? Why do they need you to protect them? Shouldn't it just be your mother protecting you both?" Another flurry of questions, albeit fewer this time. He didn't want to come off as matter-of-fact as he sounded, but he didn't know how else to ask. He didn't even know of his parents or siblings, so there was no kinship to be felt, no fealty to be owed.

Then a follow up question. Sheepishly, "Does it feel nice..?"

@Nym

Nym

Honestly, Paladin liked this exchange. It forced him to think and analyze his feelings -- to hear his thoughts. It was an interesting experience, especially for someone so unexpressive as Paladin.

"I suppose that is how parents are pictured to be," he mused, a hum hanging at the end of his words. He paused, thinking over the next answer, tasting the syllables as he considered the least sappy way of putting it. "But mother is delicate. She's strong, too, and never comes off anything but when she's with us, but I notice how sad she looks when she thinks no one is looking. Or how all the pictures of father suddenly vanished one night. I love her, and want to be there for her. Help her. Ensure no one hurts her again. She protects me because she's my mother, but I also protect her, too. If only one person is doing all the work they'll eventually get tired, right?"

He grew quiet, mood mildly soured by the reminder of his father. The conflicting though of Just Lance and Sanctuary always made him uncomfortable, but he hid it well. "It could be just her protecting us, but that sounds... lonely."

The last question caught him off-guard, head raising to lock his eyes on KK. His expression shifted, eyebrows knitting closer together as a realization hit him. "It does. To me, at least, but sometimes it hurts. When I see mother or brother hurting I feel a piece of it, too. Do you..." he trailed off, tone stiff and awkward. "I'm sorry if this is rude but... do you not have anyone you're close to? A friend? Family-member? A pet?"

@shortcutt

shortcutt

Considering Paladin's words carefully, Poe tried his best to really imagine what it was like to be in the other's hooves, painting a detailed picture in his head with reds and oranges and delicate pinks, a sickly yellow pervading the figures in their own heartache. What an emotional picture. It almost hurt to look at.

It was beyond clear that Paladin and his family cared for each other deeply. Is that what birthed loyalty? The desire to defend and protect someone?

KK could tell that a tender subject had been touched on, though he could only guess what it was about. Something having to do with his father, surely, but he wasn't about to ask about that clear time bomb to get some clarity. He barely knew Paladin, anyway. That would be rude. He shouldn't insert himself into other phonies' lives like that. His attention was brought to the moment again when the other colt admitted that this intense feeling hurt. That didn't make it seem like loyalty was even worth it if it brought pain. If you cared less, you hurt less. But you had less, too.

Before he could return to his deeper thoughts, he was caught off-guard by the question aimed at him this time. "Close to?" Poe blinked, his mind going blank as he tried to rack his brain for anyone that he truly considered 'close.' There was no picture painted of a familiar face. No family, no friends, no animals. A surprising wave of shame washed over him when he realized that this made him odd. His cheeks heated and he glared softly at his hooves in the dirt. "No, I don't think I have anyone. But the concept is getting more clear for me with how you're explaining it. I just don't think I've ever..." Felt that deep of a connection.

@Nym

Nym

He hadn't meant to make KK feel bad. He hoped he hadn't offended or hurt the other, but his question had a follow-up statement. He regarded KK, noting heated cheeks and a glare. Man, Paladin felt like a right jerk right then. He shifted in his seat, pushing off and landing into the dirt. He took a second to brush himself off and inspect himself for cleanliness before extending his hoof to the other, head cocked faintly to the side.

"Would you like to be my friend?" He asked directly, gaze locked on KK, perhaps a bit too serious. Well, that was the kind of colt he was! "It's not forever binding, if you don't want it to be. I'll leave the second you ask me to. But until then, do you want to be friends?"

@shortcutt

shortcutt

At Paladin's movement, KK let his gaze rise, turning slightly to watch the other colt as he held out his hoof. When the question hit him, his eyes widened, cheeks flushing ever so slightly at the gesture. Paladin wanted to be friends. With him? Poe's heart swelled, and even at the reassurance that this didn't have to be a long term thing if he chose to go his separate way in the future, oh how the earth foal cried out in his head for everything but. They had only started talking today, but King Kakapo felt something between them like he had never felt before.

Paladin wasn't some fillie fawning over his "mysterious" personality (he was just guarded against the others, anyway), and he wasn't some other colt about to start an ugly rumor about him. No, Paladin was offering a piece of himself to KK, and the earth foal clung to it like a soul in a desert who had found an oasis. Taking the unicorn's hoof between his own, Poe's eyes glistened with earnest desire, and he locked the colt's features and expression away in his mind to keep dear forever. His first real friend.

"Yes." KK really didn't mean to sound as desperate as he did, but he was truly overwhelmed with the idea that there would be someone there for him to actually talk to. Someone to have fun with, share interests with, and someone to--

Oh. Someone he wanted to protect, too.

"I think... We're going to be friends for a long time, Paladin." Poe smiled, sliding off of the swing himself, carefully bumping his shoulder to the unicorn's own.

@Nym

Nym

Paladin's offer was sincere, even if abrupt. He watched KK, careful not to sway the other with any expression, landing instead on a blank seriousness that often found its way to his face. KK didn't take his hoof immediately, watching them with thoughtful eyes. Paladin waited, head lifting faintly as, finally, KK took his hoof into theirs.

A faint smile flickered on Paladin's face, melting away before one could be quite sure it had even happened.

Now, Paladin wasn't a master at friendship. In fact, he hadn't befriended anyone aside from his sibling. He would have to work hard at being a good friend, but Paladin was more than willing. Still, he was stiff -- stiff, serious, and direct; hopefully KK wouldn't mind it. The worst thing Paladin could imagine happening would be scaring KK off, as he often did with his more carefree classmates.

A part of him doubted that'd ever happen.

"If you'll have me," he answered, briefly startled as Poe gently bumped their shoulders together. Was that what friends did? He slipped off the swings, glancing at Poe's shoulder curiously, the cogs turning.

Gently, with a careful swing, Paladin lightly tapped his hoof against Poe's shoulder.

"Do you want to work on your paper with me? I don't need to be home for a bit."

@shortcutt (Do we want to end this after your next post?)

shortcutt

"As long as you don't regret offering." King Kakapo giggled a little, his smile widening a bit when Paladin's hoof touched his shoulder.

Yeah, he'd do anything to protect this blooming friendship. It was his first, and he was determined to keep it for as long as he could, even if that did wind up meaning forever.

At the offer of help with his paper, KK nodded, picking up his back and sliding it over his neck and shoulder once again. "If we could work together, that would be nice. I think I'm starting to understand what it means to be loyal, but maybe we could figure it out a little more together." His eyes averted themselves to the side, his cheeks heating up a little with these new feelings. They were a bit overwhelming, but KK knew he would get used to them. Paladin had his back, it seemed. That was a nice feeling.

"I could... Walk you home after. Should make sure you get home safe." The colt nodded again, this time a bit more enthusiastically, not leaving much room for the unicorn to decline. You were supposed to make sure your friends were safe, right? If Paladin wanted to make sure no one ever hurt his family, KK was certain that it worked the same way with friendship.

Paladin was drawn into his duty to protect those closest to him. So, Poe would make sure to protect Paladin with the weight of their small world on his shoulders. He'd be loyal to the bone.

@Nym (I'm good to end it here! :3)